About the Friends
The Friends of Mills Mansion (FOMM) are dedicated to preserving the Staatsburgh Historic Site, one of the finest surviving monuments of the Gilded Age in the United States through a public-private partnership with the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation.
Founded in 1988, The Friends of Mills Mansion support the preservation and improvement of the mansion and its grounds. Among our many contributions are sponsoring educational programs, securing funds for preservation and interpretation, supporting the research library, producing educational materials, and sponsoring curatorial surveys and reports.
The Friends of Mills Mansion are committed not only to preserving this extraordinary landmark but to ensuring its relevance for generations to come.
About Mills Mansion
Originally built in 1832 and greatly expanded in the 1890’s, Mills Mansion (formally known as Staatsburgh State Historic Site) is emblematic of the great country estates built in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries to house America’s wealthiest families.
Staatsburgh is a New York State Historic Site located within the boundaries of Mills-Norrie State Park. It is an elegant example of the great estates built by America’s financial and industrial leaders during the Gilded Age.
A 25-room Greek Revival structure was built on the site in 1832 by Morgan Lewis and his wife, Gertrude Livingston, replacing an earlier house that had burned down. This second house was inherited by Ruth Livingston Mills, wife of noted financier and philanthropist Ogden Mills.
In 1895, Mr. and Mrs. Mills commissioned the prestigious New York City architectural firm of McKim, Mead and White to remodel and enlarge their Staatsburg home. After completion in 1896, the house was transformed into a Beaux-Arts mansion of 65 rooms and 14 bathrooms. Its exterior was embellished with balustrades, pilasters, floral swags, and a massive portico. The rooms were furnished with elaborately carved and gilded furniture, fine oriental rugs, silk fabrics, and a collection of art objects from Europe, ancient Greece, and the Far East.
In 1938, the house and 192 acres were given to the State of New York by Gladys Mills Phipps, daughter of Ruth and Ogden Mills.
Mills Mansion (a.k.a. Staatsburgh) is located within the greater Mills-Norrie State Park campus, which includes Norrie Point Marina and Campgrounds. Click here for more information.